Progress!This was a good weekend. Actually, so was last weekend, where I got lots of yard cleanup, mowing and trimming done in small increments, as ,my sprained ankle would allow. I still needed to put it up in the afternoons off and on this weekend, especially on Sunday, to help take the swelling down, but progress nonetheless.
I showed a sneak preview of the wicking garden some time ago, and have a couple of new pictures to show Sunday's progress:
Here is the reservoir done. The perforated pipes are almost covered by the rocks. I am so glad I used those, since I still needed 12-15 bags of rocks besides. You can see the edge of 4 cinder blocks I put in the center, just in case I need a really sturdy place to step.
I put a double layer of landscape fabric, and then added 6 bags of sand for the next layer. It does not appear to be enough. So I added decomposed granite, which I had on hand, to bring it up to the top of the water level - I'll post a picture of that next time. Then I folded the fabric back around the edges to make a big sand pillow between the rocks and the soil which will go on next. More pictures once the last stage with the raised bed is done.
Meanwhile, while I was working at the wicking garden, I had a couple of guys installing the totes I got for rainwater collection. They leveled, placed a thick bed of decomposed granite and tamped it down, and leveled cinderblocks to raise them enough for some water pressure.
The next stage will be a new gutter and the piping to direct the water flow into the containers, and hook up the spigots to a pipe with faucets for a garden hose. I am excited at the prospect of 550 gallons of rainwater capacity!
Looking good, guys!
And of course, the dogs wanted to help...